Sushil Goyal, Tribune News Service
Sangrur, March 31. The building of the local Government School for boys situated on Sangrur-Patiala road that was commissioned by Maharaja Ranbir Singh of the erstwhile Jind state in 1913 may soon be razed to the ground.
The PWD B&R authorities have declared that the building is too old and needs to be taken down. The building has been locked down since February, 2012.
However, some residents of the city feel the building should be preserved by the Punjab Heritage and Tourism Promotion Board. They say the building can be easily repaired at a cost of a few lakh rupees.
The building was inaugurated by Maharaja Ranbir Singh on December 15, 1919. This is one of the few remaining buildings in the state that were commissioned by the Maharajas of the erstwhile Jind state.
The other buildings of that era include Government Ranbir College, Ranbir Club, Baradari and Diwankhana. Sangrur was the capital of the Jind state.
The executive engineer (XEN) of PWD B&R, Sangrur, had written to the District Education Officer (Secondary) in April, 2010, that the roofs of the first storey of the building were in a dilapidated condition and that the building was too old to be preserved.
Sources said thereafter the education authorities got the building vacated in February, 2012.
It is also learnt that the education authorities had recently written to the XEN, PWD B&R, to provide them with an estimate of the debris of the building so they could hold an auction for the demolition of the building.
Heritage lovers, including Rajiv Jindal, author of ‘The Princely State of Jind Revisited’, and former students of the school, are against this move of the education authorities. They have urged the Punjab Government and the Punjab Heritage and Tourism Promotion Board to take cognisance of the matter and save the building.