BBC News – Manchester attack: What we know so far

Twenty-two people have been killed and 59 injured after suspected attacker 22-year-old Salman Abedi detonated a home-made bomb at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande at Manchester Arena.

Here is what we know so far.

What happened?

Police say a lone male suicide bomber detonated a home-made bomb in the foyer of Manchester Arena as crowds were leaving the concert.

Officers were called at 22:33 BST on Monday and streets surrounding the arena and Victoria station were sealed off.

Twenty-two people were killed in the explosion, including an eight-year-old girl.

A further 59 people, including 12 under the age of 16, were injured and taken to hospital.

The attacker died at the scene.

Eye witnesses said the noise of the explosion was followed by a flash of fire

Metal nuts and bolts were strewn around the floor among bodies and the smell of explosives was in the air, witnesses said.

They also spoke about the fear and confusion that gripped the concert-goers, as they rushed for the exits.

More than 240 emergency calls were made; 60 ambulances and 400 police officers attended.

After the attack hundreds of people in Manchester took to social media to offer spare beds and rooms for those stranded in the city.

Ariana Grande, who had just left the stage when the blast happened, has expressed her sorrow at the deaths.
Who carried out the attack?

Salman Abedi, 22, has been named by police as the suspected suicide bomber.

“The priority remains to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network,” Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.

Daniel Sandford, BBC home affairs correspondent, said Salman Abedi was born in Manchester on New Year’s Eve 1994.

The BBC understands that he has at least three siblings: an elder brother who was born in London, and a younger brother and sister who were born in Manchester.

The family, believed to be of Libyan origin, has lived at several addresses in Manchester, including at a property at Elsmore Road in the Fallowfield area, that was raided by police on Tuesday.

Earlier, Mr Hopkins had said the force would treat the incident as a terror attack “until we have further information”.

The so-called Islamic State group has claimed responsibility, but this has not been verified.

Who are the victims?

Student Georgina Callander was the first of those who were killed to be named. She was studying health and social care at Runshaw College in Lancashire.

Eight-year-old Saffie Rose Roussos, from Leyland, Lancashire, was killed.

And the third victim has been named as John Atkinson, 28, of Radcliffe in Bury.

A further 19 people who died have not yet been named.

The injured are being treated at eight hospitals in Greater Manchester.

Many have life-threatening conditions, the prime minister said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40008389

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: