The Statesman – Presidential poll: Six file nominations on day one

New Delhi, 14 June 2017. Six candidates filed their papers for the presidential election on the first day of nominations, officials said on Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, the Election Commission issued notification for the presidential poll, setting the ball in motion for the July 17 election to the country’s highest constitutional post.

Those who filed nominations on Wednesday include K Padmarajan from Salem in Tamil Nadu, who has earned the moniker of ‘Election King’ by contesting more than 150 elections.

His name figures in the Limca Book of Records for being the “most unsuccessful candidate”.

Earlier, Padmarajan has contested against political bigwigs like J Jayalalithaa, M Karunanidhi, A K Anthony, P V Narasimha Rao, K R Narayanan, S M Krishna, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh (in Rajya Sabha polls) and President Pranab Mukherjee in the presidential election.

Others who filed their nominations were Anand Singh Kushwaha from Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, A Bala Raj from Mahbubnagar in Telangana, Saira Bano Patel from Mumbai, Abdul Hamid Patel from Mumbai, and Kondekar Vijayprakash from Pune in Maharashtra.

Lok Sabha Secretary General Anoop Mishra, the Returning Officer for the election, issued the notification that the nomination papers may be delivered by a candidate or any of their proposers/seconders not later than 28 June.

Voting will take place from 10 am. to 5 pm on July 17 at places fixed under the rules.

The vote count will be on July 20, four days before incumbent Pranab Mukherjee’s term ends on July 24. The new President is set to assume office the following day.

http://www.thestatesman.com/india/presidential-poll-six-file-nominations-on-day-one-1497459956.html

Advertisements

The Tribune – Rana Gurjit lied about his employees: Khaira

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, 14 June 2017. Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) MLA Sukhpal Khaira said here today that Power Minister Rana Gurjit Singh had falsely claimed that four persons who got mining contracts were his former employees. Khaira claimed that one of them, Kulvinder Pal Singh, had been working for the minister’s company till last month.

Kulvinder, who was working as the Deputy General Manager at Rana Sugars, had got the contract for the sand mine at Mehadipur village. Following The Tribune story (‘Punjab minister’s cook is Rs26-cr sand mine owner’, May 25), the minister had claimed that Amit Bahadur, Kulvinder and two other employees had left his company in April.

Showing a recent revenue record of Mohali district, Khaira said Kulvinder had been getting land sale deeds signed on behalf of the minister’s wife as he had the power of attorney.

“The minister recently made a false public statement disowning Kulvinder as his employee, even as this person was present during the execution of the sale deed in favour of Rana Gurjit’s family on May 17-18 at Majri sub tehsil,” the AAP leader said.

During a press conference later in the day, the minister rebutted Khaira’s allegations. “If a person leaves a job, it doesn’t mean that we snap all ties with him. And you don’t need to be someone’s employee for holding the power of attorney,” Rana Gurjit said.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/rana-gurjit-lied-about-his-employees-khaira/422549.html

Tram 4 from Oefenplein to Hundelgemsesteenweg

Tram 4 from Oefenplein to Hundelgemsesteenweg
14 May 2017

Jozef Vervaenenstraat – Tram 4 to Muide

Jozef Vervaenenstraat – Tram 4 to Moscou

Tram-stop Van Ooteghemstraat

Tram-stop Moriaanstraat


Ledebergstraat – Tram-stop Botermarkt

Tram-stop Hundelgemsesteenweg

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

Outlook India – Far-Right protesters ‘abuse’ Sikh volunteers feeding homeless people in Manchester

London, 14 June 2017. Sikh volunteers providing meals for the homeless in Manchester were allegedly abused by far-right activists after getting caught in a demonstration against Sharia laws.

Members of the Sikh Sewa Organisation (SSO) said they had to flee from Piccadilly Gardens for “their own safety” after “EDL (English Defence League) members” became “abusive” towards them.

The SSO provide meals for the homeless every Sunday in the same spot but were forced to move on to Stevenson Square after thousands reportedly descended on the area in a protest against Sharia law, The Independent reported.

“As per every Sunday our team went to feed the homeless in Manchester. Sadly, our usual spot in Piccadilly Gardens was over run by the EDL mindless thugs and we had to scarper for our own safety, as they were becoming abusive to the volunteers. It became really scary for us,” the SSO wrote on its Facebook page.

“Our usual homeless crowd came to us saying they were starving so the volunteers decided to move to Stevenson Square. They continued there tirelessly serving food despite their own safety,” it said.

Eight people were arrested when demonstrators with UK Against Hate, headed by former EDL leader Tommy Robinson, clashed with counter-protesters.

Greater Manchester police advised residents to avoid the area after the protest turned “nasty”.

Manchester’s Mayor Andy Burnham said the “EDL-types” needed to take a “long hard look at themselves”.

Robinson refuted the claims that EDL was in attendance as “lies”.

He wrote on Facebook, “Looks like the police have joined the newspapers in their #fakenews propaganda.”

“This was not an EDL demo it was UK Against Hate demonstration against terrorism and hate being inflicted on our communities! The actions of the police yesterday and the disgraceful fake news reporting by the media since is a depressing example of the mess our once great country is in,” he said.

http://www.outlookindia.com/newswire/story/far-right-protesters-abuse-sikh-volunteers-feeding-homeless-people-in-manchester/970704

The Hindu – India ratifies core conventions to clamp down on child labour

International Labour Organisation conventions relate to the worst forms of child labour, and admission of age to employment

Special Correspondent

New Delhi, 13 June 2017. In a historic move, India on Tuesday ratified two core Conventions of International Labour Organisation (ILO) on child labour, a global commitment to end the worst form of child labour and to ensure minimum basic education for children.

Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya handed over the Instruments of Ratification to the ILO in Geneva as a part of the ceremony.

“It is a historic moment for India as we are going to take another giant step to affirm our commitment for a child labour-free India by ratifying the two Core Conventions of International Labour Organization (ILO), Convention 138 regarding admission of age to employment and Convention 182 regarding worst forms of child labour,” Mr. Dattatreya said on the sidelines of the International Labour Conference 2017 in Geneva.

The Central government had enacted a new law, Child labour (Prohibition and Prevention) Amendment Act, 2016, banning employment of children below 14 years of age in all occupations and processes. It further prohibits employment of adolescents (14-18 years of age) in hazardous occupations.

However, children were allowed to “help” families in running their domestic enterprises only after school hours.

The new law linked the age of employment for children to the age of compulsory education under Right to Education Act (RTE), 2009.

“From today, Convention 182 will cover more than 99 percent of the world’s children and the coverage of Convention 138 will leap from approximately 60 percent to almost 80 percent,” ILO Director General Guy Ryder said at the Geneva event.

With ratification of the two core ILO conventions, India has ratified six out of eight core ILO conventions. Four other conventions were related to abolition of forced labour, equal remuneration and no discrimination between men and women in employment and occupation.

Nobel Peace Laureate Kailash Satyarthi had told The Hindu last week that the Central government’s move to ratify ILO Conventions on child labour will ensure compliance of the government’s new law.

“Countries which ratify any of the ILO conventions have to go through a periodical reporting system every four years. So the government has to prove they are making progress,” Mr. Satyarthi had said.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/india-ratifies-core-conventions-to-clamp-down-on-child-labour/article19020683.ece