The Hindustan Times – Mansarovar pilgrims stranded as China denies entry, MEA in talks with Beijing

Probir Pramanik

The pilgrims, who had been stranded on the Indian side of the border since June 20, returned to Gangtok on Friday.

Darjeeling, 23 June 2017. India has initiated discussions with China after a group of pilgrims headed to Manasarovar was denied permission by the neighbouring country to cross over the international border.

“Some difficulties are being experienced in the movement of Kailash-Mansarovar yatris via Nathu La. The matter is being discussed with the Chinese side,” the ministry of external affairs said.

Earlier, the 47 pilgrims who had been stranded on the Indian side of the border since June 20 after being denied access to cross over the international border, returned to Sikkim’s capital Gangtok on Friday evening.

Sources in the 17th Mountain Division of the army said that possible landslide on the Chinese side could be a cause for the denial of permission.

The pilgrims who were given accommodation in Gangtok said they were not given any reason for the denial of entry to China.

They said they had been put up at an acclimatisation camp in Sherathang, some 7 km south of Nathu La.

Nearly 40,000 pilgrims and tourists, around 80% of them from India, take part in the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra every year, which takes place between May and July.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/pilgrims-to-manasarovar-denied-entry-into-china-mea-holds-talk-with-beijing/story-TYTZwjqCGBHN7xAqzBkI4J.html

Advertisements

Sikh24.com – Congress challenged to probe Badal’s mafia style influence in Punjab

Sikh24 Editors

Chandigarh-Panjab—India, 22 June 2017. During the budget session meeting of the Punjab assembly on June 21, the Shiromani Akali Dal president, Sukhbir Badal, challenged the Congress led Punjab government to order a probe into links to misuse of transport, land and drugs.

He said this in reply to the allegations leveled by a Congress legislator Kuljit Nagra against the SAD of being mafia kingpins of transport, land and drugs.

Replying to Kuljit Nagra’s allegations, Sukhbir Badal said that the Congress should act wisely by ordering probes rather than leveling false allegations against the Shiromani Akali Dal. He added now that Congress had control over the police and Punjab’s entire administration, the government should order a probe against Akali leaders.

None of the Congress legislators in the Punjab assembly directly responded to Badal junior’s challenge, although continued leveling allegations in their speeches.

Sukhbir challenge to the ruling Congress party has sparked a debate among Punjab masses. Political analysts have noted that Sukhbir Badal has dared to make this challenge in the wake of under the table deals between SAD and Captain Amarinder Singh.

The Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh had earlier signified that he was not in favor of vendetta politics in Punjab.

http://www.sikh24.com/2017/06/22/congress-challenged-to-probe-badals-mafia-style-influence-in-punjab/#.WU2CSulLfIU

Gent: Begijnhoflaan – Rabot

Rabot – Tram 1 and Tram 4
28 May 2017

Rabot – tracks for Tram 1 to/from Sint-Pieters and Flanders Expo

Rabot – Tram 1 to Sint-Pieters and Flanders Expo

Begijnhoflaan – Tram 4 to UZ

Begijnhoflaan – Tram 4 to UZ

Begijnhoflaan – Tram 4 to UZ

Rabot Kerk
28 May 2017

United Protestant Church in Belgium (VPKB)
Special service for new minister Eefje van der Linden

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

The East London & West Sussex Guardian – Interfaith vigil shows ‘Redbridge will not be cowed by terrorism’

Lara Keay

Redbridge, 23 June 2017. Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Hindus came together for a candlelit peace vigil to show “Redbridge will not be cowed by terrorism”.

People of all and no faiths gathered outside the town hall last night (June 22) in a display of unity and condemnation of the recent terror attacks in Westminster, London Bridge, and Finsbury Park.

The borough is among several in east London targeted by police as part of the investigation into the London Bridge and Borough Market attacks on June 3.

After residents witnessed armed officers storm several addresses in Ilford, chairman of the British Pakistani Christian Association (BPCA) Wilson Chowdhry decided to organise the interfaith event to bring people together.

He said: “It is hard to believe the violence of recent months has occurred in our beautiful city where most people hold very cosmopolitan views.

“But it has and the people of Redbridge have come out fighting and will continue to show solidarity.

“We simply will not be cowed by extremists.”

Imam of the Al Bayan Welfare Centre in Ilford Sheikh Khalid said: “To eradicate hate in the world we must show love.

“Our vigil sent out a clear message that you can have different cultures and faiths, but they all share something – humanity.”

Chairman of the Vishwa Parishad Temple said Redbridge Hindus “stand united with our brothers and sisters of all faiths”.

Ilford Asian Church’s leader Shaheen Zar added: “The vibrant multi-faith and multicultural communities of Redbridge have lived in harmony for so long – nobody can change that.

“Together we can defy any attempt to shatter our peace with events like this.”

After lighting candles and holding a minute’s silence to remember those affected by the terror attacks, faith leaders and community members linked arms in front of a sign saying “Together we are stronger”.

The event was also supported by the Redbridge Faith Forum, who’s next interfaith meeting will be held at Redbridge Central Library in Clements Road on July 25.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/15368054.Interfaith_vigil_shows___39_Redbridge_will_not_be_cowed_by_terrorism__39_/

Dawn – At least 30 dead, 100 injured in twin explosions in Parachinar

Ali Akbar

Kurram (Urdu: کرم) tribal agency-FATA-Pakistan,  23 June 2017. At least 30 people were killed and over 100 injured, with fears of casualties rising, after two subsequent explosions hit a densely populated area of Kurram Agency’s Parachinar city Friday evening.

The death toll was confirmed by hospital sources, who warned that the number of casualties may rise.

Parachinar District General Hospital Medical Superintendent Sabir Hussain appealed to the public for help, saying that the hospital is not equipped to handle the large number of casualties.

This is the second major bomb attack today. Early morning, at least 13 people, including seven policeman, lost their lives, while 19 others were injured in a suicide blast that shook Shuhada Chowk in Quetta’s Gulistan Road area.

Local political administration officials said the twin blasts occurred in the Turi Market near Tal Adda, where a bus terminal is also located.

The second explosion targeted rescuers and bystanders who rushed to aid those who had been hurt in the first blast.

The nature of the explosions has not been ascertained as yet.

The explosions targeted people shopping in the area and those heading out of the city ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr, administration officials said.

Following the blast, security forces cordoned off the affected site and conducted a search operation in the surrounding areas, with the army dispatching helicopters from Peshawar to Parachinar “for the speedy evacuation of the injured to Peshawar,” according to a statement issued by the military’s media wing.

Parachinar, with a population of more than 50,000, has been under strict security arrangements for quite some time. Army and paramilitary personnel have set up checkpoints on all routes leading to the town and visitors and vehicles go through extensive search and identification process.

On March 31 this year, the city had suffered a similar tragedy when 23 people were killed in a car bomb blast near an Imam­bargah at midday.

More than 70 others were wounded in the attack. Another person had died later after security forces opened fire on a crowd trying to hold a demonstration in front of the political agent’s office in protest against increasing terrorist attacks.

In January this year, 25 people were killed and 87 others suffered injuries when a bomb went off during peak business hours at a crowded vegetable market in the city.

In what appeared to be a sign of growing cooperation among extremists, two banned groups had come forward to claim the deadly assault, with one describing the incident as a suicide attack.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1341299/at-least-30-dead-100-injured-in-twin-explosions-in-parachinar