The Hindustan Times – Mansarovar pilgrims stranded as China denies entry, MEA in talks with Beijing

Probir Pramanik

The pilgrims, who had been stranded on the Indian side of the border since June 20, returned to Gangtok on Friday.

Darjeeling, 23 June 2017. India has initiated discussions with China after a group of pilgrims headed to Manasarovar was denied permission by the neighbouring country to cross over the international border.

“Some difficulties are being experienced in the movement of Kailash-Mansarovar yatris via Nathu La. The matter is being discussed with the Chinese side,” the ministry of external affairs said.

Earlier, the 47 pilgrims who had been stranded on the Indian side of the border since June 20 after being denied access to cross over the international border, returned to Sikkim’s capital Gangtok on Friday evening.

Sources in the 17th Mountain Division of the army said that possible landslide on the Chinese side could be a cause for the denial of permission.

The pilgrims who were given accommodation in Gangtok said they were not given any reason for the denial of entry to China.

They said they had been put up at an acclimatisation camp in Sherathang, some 7 km south of Nathu La.

Nearly 40,000 pilgrims and tourists, around 80% of them from India, take part in the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra every year, which takes place between May and July.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/pilgrims-to-manasarovar-denied-entry-into-china-mea-holds-talk-with-beijing/story-TYTZwjqCGBHN7xAqzBkI4J.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: