The Asian Age – Gangster boasts on Facebook after shooting Panjabi singer

Along with the post, the gangster also shared a selfie with his pistol and another photo of the singer with a red cross drawn across it.

Mohali – Panjab – India, 22 April 2018. Famous Panjabi singer Parmish Verma was shot at by an unknown person in Mohali in the wee hours of Saturday.

The singer was immediately admitted to Fortis Hospital and was later reported to be out of danger. According to a TOI report, the singer was shot right outside his housing society in sector 91 Mohali.

Verma was returning home accompanied by a friend and a bodyguard from an event at Chandigarh’s Elante mall. There are conflicting reports about the precise sequence of events of the shooting. Initial reports had suggested that the singer was shot in the leg by the assailants after he had sent his bodyguard home.

Later in the day, a gangster Dilpreet Singh Dhaha owed up to the shooting and bragged about it on his Facebook profile.

Along with the post, Singh also shared a selfie with the pistol and another picture of singer Parmish Verma with a red cross drawn across it. The Facebook post since then has garnered over 2,500 shares.

http://www.asianage.com/india/crime/140418/gangster-boasts-on-facebook-after-shooting-punjabi-singer.html

The Tribune – New building to house Sikh Reference Library

Tribune News Service

Bathinda – Panjab – India, 20 April 2018. The SGPC executive committee on Friday gave nod for the construction of a new building for the Sikh Reference Library. The decision was reached at a meeting of the committee presided over by SGPC chief Gobind Singh Longowal at Takht Sri Damdama Sahib in Talwandi Sabo.

Addressing mediapersons, Longowal said the library was ruined during the Operation Blue Star in 1984 and the Army “had taken away a lot of Sikh literature” from there. He said the library had once again turned into a treasure trove of Sikh literature following the efforts of the SGPC.

He said the new building to house the Sikh Reference Library will be constructed at the current location of Bhai Gurdas Hall in Amritsar. Along with it, a ‘sarai’ to facilitate lodging of the pilgrims will also be constructed.

Talking about other decisions, he said the SGPC would give a reward of Rs 1 lakh each to “sabat soorat” Sikh youths (having unshorn hair) making it to competitive exams like IAS and IPS. Similarly, those getting selected in the PCS will be given Rs 75,000 each.

He said Sikhs doing commendable work in science and agricultural research at the international level would also be awarded Rs 1 lakh each.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/new-building-to-house-sikh-reference-library/577220.html

Hoepertingen : Gurdwara – School visit

Hoepertingen Gurdwara
23 February 2018

The children paying respect to the Guru Granth Sahib


Teacher and pupil


The teacher has been before, he knows how it is done


Students enjoying langar

Adjusting the ramal

Guru Ram Dass Sikh Study & Cultural Centre
Smisstraat 8
Hoepertingen
B-3840 Borgloon

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

Express & Star – Sikh temple [Gurdwara] leaders expelled by High Court in landmark legal case

Pete Madeley

The ruling committee of Wolverhampton’s largest Sikh temple [Gurdwara] has been kicked out en masse and could  face legal costs of up to £1 million following a two year courtroom battle.

Wolverhampton – West Midlands – UK, 20 April 2018. In a landmark ruling, High Court judges said the ‘5 Singhs’ at the Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Sedgley Street, Blakenhall, had not been validly elected when they took power in May 2015.

It meant that the committee they selected, including now ex-president Tarsem Singh and former general secretary Manjit Singh Boparai, were also invalid.

Following a 10-day trial, His Honour Judge Simon Barker QC ordered them to stand down and pay interim costs of £200,000, pending a full costs hearing which could see the figure rise to £1m.

An application from the committee to appeal the costs order was refused by the court.

The running of the temple [Gurdwara], which attracts hundreds of worshippers every week, has now been handed to trustees, who have vowed to work with the Charity Commission to elect a new committee.

Avi Pawar, who represented the trustees on behalf of Aspect Law Solicitors, said they were ‘delighted that the truth has prevailed’ and that it had been established that the management committee was invalid.

“They had no right to operate the gurdwara, and those that maintained throughout the proceedings, for in excess of two years, that the committee had been properly elected in May 2015 were simply wrong and had sought to disregard the rights of the congregation as set in the gurdwara’s constitution.”

The ruling is thought to be the first of its kind in Britain.

The temple [Gurdwara] became the centre of a power struggle in 2015, with its trustees complaining that the committee which overseas day-to-day operations had not been validly elected.

The concerns were echoed by the Charity Commission and the issue went before the courts.

Trustees claimed that more than £100,000 raised through donations had gone missing from the temple’s accounts, which had been frozen in October 2015.

The committee argued that it had faced ‘operational difficulties’ but insisted that all income and expenditure was accounted for.

Another landmark legal case involving the temple was resolved in February last year, when congregation members won a battle to get screens removed that segregated elderly and disabled worshippers.

The decision had ramifications worldwide, with the Golden Temple [Harmandr Sahib] in Amritsar changing its policy to install stairlifts and provide wheelchair provision.

The Express & Star has attempted to contact the former committee for comment.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2018/04/20/temple-leaders-expelled-by-high-court-in-landmark-legal-case/

Dawn – Death toll from suicide attack on Kabul voter registration centre rises to 48

22 April 2018.

Kabul – Greater Kabul Province – Afghanistan, 22 April 2018. An Islamic State suicide bomber killed at least 48 people including women and children and wounded 112 outside a voter registration centre in the Afghan capital Kabul on Sunday in the latest attack on election preparations.

The assaults underscore growing concerns about security in the lead-up to legislative elections scheduled for October 20, which are seen as a test-run for next year’s presidential poll.

“It happened at the entrance gate of the centre. It was a suicide attack,” Dawood Amin, Kabul police chief, told AFP.

Both the health and interior ministries confirmed the latest toll for the attack, which was claimed by the Islamic State group via its propaganda arm Amaq.

“They are civilians, including women and children,” said interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish.

The centre in a heavily Shia-populated neighbourhood in the west of the city was also being used by people to register for national identification certificates, which they need to sign up to vote.

Sheets of paper and passport-sized photos lay scattered amid shattered glass and pools of blood on the street near badly damaged cars — grim evidence of the force of the blast that drew international condemnation.

“This senseless violence shows the cowardice and inhumanity of the enemies of democracy and peace in Afghanistan,” US ambassador John Bass wrote on Twitter. NATO also condemned the bombing.

The last major attack in Kabul was on March 21 when an IS suicide bomber blew himself up in a crowd celebrating the Persian New Year holiday and killed at least 33 people.

Voter security

Ariana TV showed angry crowds shouting “Death to the government!” and “Death to the Taliban!”

A wounded man in a hospital bed wept as he told the network: “I don’t know where my daughters are. God damn the attackers!”

A witness to the attack named Akbar told Tolo TV: “Now we know the government cannot provide us security: we have to get armed and protect ourselves.”

Elsewhere, a roadside explosion in the northern province of Baghlan on Sunday killed six people, including three women and two children.

President Ashraf Ghani condemned both attacks as “heinous”.

Afghanistan began registering voters on April 14 for the long-delayed legislative elections.

Officials have acknowledged that security is a major concern because the Taliban and other militant groups control or contest large swathes of the country.

Afghan police and troops have been tasked with protecting polling centres, even as they struggle to get the upper hand against insurgents on the battlefield.

Militants on Friday launched rockets at a voter registration centre in the northwestern province of Badghis. At least one police officer was killed and another person was wounded, officials said, blaming the Taliban.

On Tuesday gunmen attacked a voter registration centre in the central province of Ghor, kidnapping three election workers and two policemen.

Taliban militants released the five on Thursday.

Over the next two months, authorities hope to register up to 14 million adults at more than 7,000 polling centres for the parliamentary and district council elections.

Officials have been pushing people to register amid fears a low turnout will undermine the credibility of the polls.

Since the Persian New Year attack a tense calm has permeated the Afghan capital as people brace for the Taliban’s launch of its customary spring offensive.

The Taliban are under pressure to take up Ghani’s peace offer made in February but so far the group has given only a muted response.

Some Western and Afghan officials expect 2018 to be a particularly bloody year.

General John Nicholson, the top US and NATO commander in Afghanistan, told Tolo TV last month that he expected the Taliban to carry out more suicide attacks this fighting season.

For update click here:

https://www.dawn.com/news/1403188