Hindustan Times – Dabholkar murder case: Main shooter got training in Maharashtra, Karnataka, CBI tells cour

Shivajinagar – Pune – Maharashtra – India, 19 August 2018. The alleged main shooter arrested in the Narendra Dabholkar killing case received “shooting training” at various places in Maharashtra and Karnataka, the CBI told a court here on Sunday.

Sachin Prakasrao Andure, who was arrested last evening by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), was remanded today in the CBI custody till 26 August.

He was produced before the court of Judicial Magistrate First Class (JMFC) A S Mujumdar at Shivajinagar amid heavy security.

While seeking his custody for 14 days, CBI counsel (public prosecutor) Vijaykumar Dhakane said the investigation revealed that Andure had received “shooting training” at various places in Maharashtra and Karnataka before executing Dabholkar’s killing.

“The CBI needs to investigate where he underwent the shooting training and also people who provided the required infrastructure to both the shooters,” he said.

The probe agency told the court that Andure is one of the two assailants who shot at Dabholkar at Omkareshwar Bridge here on August 20, 2013.

“The entire conspiracy was hatched by Dr Virendra Tawde along with this accused and this (conspiracy) needs to be unearthed for which his custodial interrogation is needed,” the CBI counsel told the court.

The CBI had arrested Hindu Janajagruti Samiti member Tawde in June 2016 from his house in Panvel in the neighbouring Navi Mumbai township and in the charge sheet, he was mentioned as the main conspirator.

Defence counsel Prakash Salsingikar raised questions over the arrest of Andure and said that after arresting Tawde, the CBI in its charge sheet mentioned the names of Sarang Akolkar and Vinay Pawar as Dabholkar’s killers.

He said the CBI claimed that sketches prepared on the basis of descriptions given by seven to eight witnesses resemble with the photos of Akolkar and Pawar.

“Now suddenly, the CBI has come out with this new theory that it was Andure who shot at Dabholkar. The sketches have no resemblance with Andure’s facial characteristics,” he said.

In the charge sheet also, there was no mention of Andure, Salsingikar said, and opposed the prosecution’s demand for his 14-day custody.

He said the court should direct the prosecution to submit a copy of the charge sheet filed against Tawde in the case.

Dhakane, however, said the CBI never named Akolkar and Pawar as the main killers and that the charge sheet only speaks about resemblance of sketches with Akolkar and Pawar.

“The resemblance is only 50 to 60 per cent and nowhere in the charge sheet the CBI mentioned them as the accused,” he said.

The CBI also said that it has to seize the weapon and the vehicle used in the commission of the crime.

After hearing the arguments, JMFC Mujumdar remanded Andure in CBI custody till August 26.

Sachin Andure’s brother Pravin Andure, who was present in the court during the hearing, told reporters later that his sibling was innocent and “falsely implicated” in the case.

Andure was believed to be one of the shooters who fired at Dabholkar while he was on a morning walk on the Omkareshwar Bridge in Pune on August 20, 2013, the CBI spokesperson said yesterday.

He was arrested on a tip-off from the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS), which had last week arrested three persons for allegedly hatching a conspiracy to carry out blasts in the state.

One of the arrested accused gave the input about Andure’s involvement in Dabholkar’s murder, which the ATS shared with the CBI, the spokesperson said.

During the questioning of the accused in police custody, one of them revealed about his direct participation in Dabholkar’s murder, the ATS said in a statement.

In June 2016, the CBI had filed a charge sheet against Tawde under sections 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder) of the IPC, among other charges.

Tawde was allegedly the mastermind of the killing, the CBI had said.

The Bombay High Court had, in May 2014, handed over the Dabholkar murder case to the CBI.

Dabholkar’s killing and communist leader and rationalist Govind Pansare’s killing in a similar manner in February 2015 had sent shock waves throughout the state.

https://www.firstpost.com/india/narendra-dabholkar-murder-hope-real-perpetrators-nabbed-soon-says-activists-son-hamid-after-cbi-arrests-gunman-4994041.html

Advertisements

Sikh24.com – Commission’s final report points toward Badal’s direct role in ordering fire on Sikhs

Sikh24 Editors

Chandigarh – Panjab – India, 18 August 2018. The Justice Ranjit Singh led Investigation Commission, constituted by the Punjab government to probe sacrilege cases, submitted its final part of the report to the Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh on August 16.

Sources have informed that Captain Amarinder Singh has directed the state’s home department to take further necessary action on the full and final report on sacrilege cases.

Sikh24 has learnt that the entire report is in four parts. While Part-1 of the report was submitted on June 30, Part-2 submitted recently deals with incidents of sacrilege in SAS Nagar, Fatehgarh Sahib, Roop Nagar and Patiala districts.

Part-3 is related to incidents in SBS Nagar (Nawanshahr) and Hoshiarpur districts and Part-4 covers the sacrilege incidents in Amritsar, Bathinda, Barnala, Faridkot, Fazilka, Ferozepur, Gurdaspur, Jalandhar, Kapurthala, Ludhiana, Mansa, Moga, Sangrur, Muktsar and Tarn Taran districts.

In a video uploaded on his Facebook page, MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira claimed that the Justice Ranjit Singh Commission has disclosed in the final report that the former DGP Sumedh Saini has submitted an affidavit before the Commission in which Saini has admitted that the then Punjab CM Parkash Badal had called him at 2 am of October 14 i.e. few hours before opening fire on the peacefully protesting Sikhs.

Seeking a thorough investigation in this concern, Sukhpal Khaira expressed a suspicion that Saini might have been ordered by Badal to open fire on the peacefully protesting Sikhs at Behbal Klan and Kotkapura.

He said that the fact couldn’t be neglected as the former SAD-BJP led Punjab government did everything to shield the guilty police cops.

It is pertinent to note here that on being summoned by the Justice Ranjit Singh Commission, the former Punjab CM Parkash Badal had refused to appear before the Commission and had said that he annuls the commission.

https://www.sikh24.com/2018/08/18/commissions-final-report-points-toward-badals-direct-role-in-ordering-fire-on-sikhs/#.W3mBgrh9jIU

Gentbrugge: Gentbrugse Meersen

Gentbrugge – Oost-Vlaanderen
Gentbrugse Meersen
15 July 2018


Cattle grazing in the Meersen


Balloon

Gentbrugse Meersen
18 July 2018


Major junction in the Gentbrugse Meersen

Gentbrugse Meersen
19 July 2018


Through the ‘bush-bush’


So much better than a park !


Want to take rest ?

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

Economic Times – UK government distances itself from Khalistan issue

London – UK, 19 August 2017. The UK government has distanced itself from the issue of a pro-Khalistan rally organised by Sikh separatist groups at London’s Trafalgar Square earlier this month.

The so-called ‘London Declaration on Referendum 2020’ rally, organised by Sikhs for Justice on August 12, triggered a diplomatic row as India had warned the UK to take bilateral ties into consideration before allowing groups that “propagate violence, secessionism and hatred” to demonstrate.

The so-called ‘London Declaration on Referendum 2020’ rally, organised by Sikhs for Justice on August 12, triggered a diplomatic row as India had warned the UK to take bilateral ties into consideration before allowing groups that “propagate violence, secessionism and hatred” to demonstrate.

“Although we allowed the protest to take place, this should not be taken as expressing a view either in support or against. We are clear that this is a question for the people and government of India,” a UK government source said.

The comment followed reports of letters exchanged between Sikhs for Justice and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) on the “campaign for Sikh self-determination”.

Turning down the prospect of a “short meeting” sought by Sikhs for Justice with UK government representatives to raise concerns of the Sikh community, the FCO said it “encouraged all involved parties to resolve any differences through dialogue”.

“The UK is rightly proud of the long-standing tradition in this country that people are free to gather together and demonstrate their views,” the letter dated August 17 from the unnamed ‘Desk Officer for India’ at the FCO states.

“The British government acknowledges the strength of feeling in the Sikh community regarding the events of 1984, including events at the Golden Temple in Amritsar. We encourage all states to ensure that their domestic laws meet international human rights standards,” it adds.

Sikhs for Justice, which hailed its announcement of a global non-binding referendum on so-called “Punjab Independence” in November 2020 at the rally, described the FCO response as “very encouraging”.

“The response of the UK’s Foreign Office on pro-Khalistan rally is very encouraging and we will continue to engage foreign governments on the issue of Sikhs right of self-determination and demand to hold referendum to determine the status of Punjab,” said Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, legal adviser to the group.

I was on the square myself, we were peacefully campaigning for the right of self-determination, we did not propagate violence or hatred
Man in Blue

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/uk-government-distances-itself-from-khalistan-issue/articleshow/65459415.cms

Dawn – ‘Navjot, we want peace’: Sidhu talks about encounter with General Bajwa, what to expect from PM Khan

NDTV 19 August 2018. Former Indian cricketer-turned-politician Navjot Singh Sidhu in an interview with NDTV on Saturday opened up about his exchange with Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Jawed Bajwa during Prime Minister Imran Khan’s swearing in ceremony, and shared what he thinks India could expect from the new Pakistani PM.

Sidhu’s visit to Pakistan, on Khan’s invitation, had sparked backlash from conservative quarters in India, including Haryana Minister Anil Vij and activists belonging to Indian PM Narendra Modi’s right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party, who criticised the Indian politician and called him ‘disloyal’ for visiting Pakistan.

Photos of the event showing Army chief General Bajwa hugging Sidhu also prompted curiosity about what had transpired between the army chief and Indian politician.

‘Khan was not nervous’

Sidhu said it was a “great honour” to have been invited to Khan’s oath-taking ceremony.

“It was a very humbling kind of experience that a 35-year-old relationship of trust culminated in an invitation from him when he became prime minister of Pakistan.”

When asked whether Khan seemed nervous during the ceremony, Sidhu laughed. “Not at all, he was not nervous. I personally feel he was as confident as I’ve always seem him.”

“After the swearing in, he walked up to me and gave me a big hug and said, ‘Thank you very much for coming,’ and then he said, like an elder brother would say to a younger brother, ‘Shabaash, I’m proud of you.'”

“Then we had a conversation for almost 30 to 40 minutes at the Secretariat where he met the winning World Cup team and I was with them. So it’s just a great feeling, to be part of all this, part of [the] celebration.”

General Bajwa’s gesture of goodwill

When asked why he had met General Bajwa twice at the ceremony, Sidhu clarified that General Bajwa was not the only military man to greet him at PM Khan’s oath-taking ceremony.

“All the three army chiefs had to come and meet the people sitting in the front row, so I met the naval chief and the air marshall as well. And in between, Bajwa sahab walks up to me and says, ‘You know, I’m a general who wanted to be a cricketer.’ So it was his dream.”

On his second encounter with the general, Sidhu said: “He [General Bajwa] was very warm and he said, ‘Navjot, we want peace.’ That was wonderful to hear.”

“Without me saying anything, he said that, ‘When you celebrate the 550th birthday of Baba Nanak … we’ll open the Kartarpur-Sahib Corridor.’ It was like a dream come true and I was so overjoyed.”

“He asked, ‘Happy?’ I said, ‘Yes sir, I’m very happy,’ and he came forward and said, ‘We’ll even think of doing better things,'” Sidhu told NDTV.

Sidhu also said that he and General Bajwa also bonded over their shared lineage: “He’s a [Punjabi] Jat. Bajwas, Cheemas, Sidhus, Sandhus, they come from the Jat family.”

What to expect from PM Khan

When asked what one could expect from the new prime minister, Navjot appeared sure that “there will be no compromises. He will not compromise.”

“The second thing that I can be very sure of is that he has clarity of thought. He will listen to everybody, but he will do what he thinks is the right perspective.”

“When you have someone that you feel is a person of credibility, of trust, someone who’s gone through the ordeal of life, someone who’s actually taken those hard, tough tests and had the tenacity to claw out of those difficult situations, because character is not made in a crisis, it is exhibited, and that is where I am coming from,” he said.

“I have hope, and I have that trust. Only time will tell, the next six months, one year. Because nobody can actually come up with a policy and implement it in five months, six months. That’s too early. I think you’ve got to give someone at least a year to assess the direction in which he is going to go.”

“And there’s one thing I am sure about, he will be taking the positive direction and according to me, positive anything is better than negative nothing.”

‘Hope India takes step towards Pakistan’

Recalling PM Khan’s first address to the nation after the election, in which the PTI chief had said if India took one step forward, Pakistan would take two, Sidhu expressed hope that “India takes that one step.

However, he added, “Whatever has to be done, has to be done by the government.”

“I think we need to take cognisance of the fact that this is a change, and any change will bring hope,” he added.

“I pray to God that India takes that one step, because this is something which is new, this is something which is a new dawn, and ultimately, if we have to move forward [with] peace and talks on the table, moving in a positive direction is the only way.”

https://www.dawn.com/news/1427992/navjot-we-want-peace-sidhu-talks-about-encounter-with-gen-bajwa-what-to-expect-from-pm-khan