The New Indian Express – Two Pro-Khalistan supporters charged by US authorities for attack on DSGMC chief Manjit GK

US based advocacy group Sikhs For Justice (SJF) had said the charges were not justified and accused Puneet Chandhok of instigating the attacks.

Harpreet Bajwa

Chandigarh – Panjab – India, 29 August 2018. Sutter County Sherriff’s Office in California, USA has charged two pro-Khalistan supporters, Sukhwinder Singh and Gurdeep Singh for attacking Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) President and senior Shiromani Akali Dal leader Manjit GK during his visit to Yuba City Gurdwara on August 25.

US based advocacy group Sikhs For Justice (SJF) had said the charges were not justified and accused Puneet Chandhok of instigating the attacks.

“All evidence and videos show that Puneet Chandok who is close to Manjit GK instigated the violence against the Referendum 2020 campaigners who were exercising their right of protest protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution.

We will be defending the charges against both our campaigners since they were only protesting GK’s presence outside Yuba City Gurdwara, said Gurpatwant Singh Pannun advisor to SFJ.

SFJ in its August 27 communiqué to Kirstjen M Nielsen, Secretary Department of Homeland Security urged that visa of Manjit Singh GK should be revoked for “engaging in political propaganda on behalf of a foreign principal without registering as required under “Foreign Agents Registration Act” (22 USC Section 611(c)). S

ukhwinder and Gurdeep both residents of California are closely associated with Referendum 2020 Campaign.

The court date for the case has been set for October 15 before Sutter County Superior Court, Yuba City, California. This was the second attack on Manjit GK as earlier last week Manjit along with his family was attacked by protesters outside a TV studio in New York by pro-Khalistan supporters.

Yesterday evening US Ambassador Kenneth I Juster had a 45-minute long meeting with Shiromani Akali Dal president and former Deputy CM Punjab Sukhbir Singh Badal at the party’s headquarters here.

Sukhbir discussed the issue of problems being faced by members of the Sikh community in the USA and referred to the incidence of racial attacks against them, especially in the recent times.

He specifically urged Juster to use his good office to expedite action against those guilty of an attack on the DSGMC President Manjit Singh GK during his trip to the USA. Juster assured Sukhbir that he would do all he can to ensure that justice is delivered expeditiously in the case.

Earlier leading a Akali Dal delegation Union Minster Harsimrat Kaur Badal had met US Ambassador Juster on Monday and raised the matter pertaining to attack on Manit Singh GK in California. “We met the US ambassador and he assured us action will be taken and all help will be extended,” she said then.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/2018/aug/29/two-pro-khalistan-supporters-charged-by-us-authorities-for-attack-on-dsgmc-chief-manjit-gk-1864458.html

Sikh24.com – Resolution seeking corridor to Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib unanimously passed in Punjab Assembly

Sikh24 Editors
August 28, 2018

Chandigarh – Panjab – India, 28 August 2018. A resolution seeking opening of the corridor to Gurdwara Sri Kartarpur Sahib for the Sikh masses during 550th birthday celebrations of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was unanimously passed in the Punjab assembly on August 27.

Sikh24 has learnt that all the legislators tendered their votes for this resolution moved by the Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh to build up pressure on the Union government of India to take up the matter with the Pakistani government.

While reading the resolution in House, Captain Amarinder Singh said that it was an esteemed dream of every Sikh residing in India to pay obeisance at Gurdwara Sri Kartarpur Sahib. “The Punjab government had been urging the Government of India, time and again, to take up the matter with Islamabad” he added.

All members of the House, cutting across party lines, were unanimously of the view that the opening of the corridor would enable millions of Sikh devotees residing in India to pay obeisance at the historic Sikh shrine where Guru Nanak Dev Ji spent last 18 years of his life.

https://www.sikh24.com/2018/08/28/resolution-seeking-corridor-to-gurdwara-kartarpur-sahib-unanimously-passed-in-punjab-assembly/#.W4ajzLh9jIU

Sint-Pieters Woluwe – Notre–Dame du Chant-d’Oiseau – Montgomery – Gentbrugge

Sint-Pieters Woluwe
Notre–Dame du Chant-d’Oiseau
Four Day Retreat
08 August 2018


Last evening : Syrian Kurdish Musicians


Last evening : Syrian Kurdish Musicians

Sint-Pieters Woluwe
Julius Cesar MIVB Tram
08 August 2018


Julius Cesar – waiting for tram 39 or 44 to take me to Montgomery

Montgomery MIVB Metro
08 August 2018


Montgomery – Eastbound Metro


Montgomery – Westbound Metro

Gentbrugge Schooldreef
09 August 2018


Tram 2 to Melle Leeuw

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

Sikh Federation – Conservative government turning blind eye to hate crimes targeting Sikhs and our Gurdwaras

Edinburgh – Lothian – Scotland, 28 August 2018. At around 5am this morning Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Edinburgh was subject to a petrol bomb attack.

Whilst no-one was injured the fire caused extensive smoke damage to the Gurdwara building.

Thankfully the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the holy Sikh scriptures or the living Guru of the Sikhs was not damaged.

Detectives believe the attack was deliberate and a hate crime, although local Sikhs have an excellent relationship with other communities.

Bhai Narinderjit Singh, the General Secretary of the Sikh Federation (UK) said:

“This is not the first arson attack on a Gurdwara. They often come in the aftermath of a terror attack and in what has popularly become known as ‘mistaken identity’ as Sikhs have never been involved in terror attacks”.

“The police and other authorities must take these arson attacks seriously as they are designed to cause injury and possible death”.

“The perpetrators must be found and prosecuted”.

“The First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon has called the attack appalling and said she stands in solidarity with the wonderful and valued Sikh community that has her support”.

“Richard Leonard, the leader for Scottish Labour has called the attack a ‘deplorable act of violence against Edinburgh’s Sikh community’, but the Conservatives North and South of the border appear to have been silent”.

“We expected Ruth Davidson to condemn the attack and show support for the Sikh community. Why is the Sikh community invisible to her? She has said absolutely nothing”.

“Sajid Javid, the Home Secretary and James Brokenshire the Communities Secretary have also said nothing. Even Lord Bourne the junior minister responsible for faith communities has had his lips sealed”.

“The Hate Crime Action Plan focused on religious communities and was published by the government more than two years ago in July 2016 after the Brexit vote. This was issued jointly by the then Home Secretary, Amber Rudd and the then Communities Secretary, Sajid Javid, who completely overlooked the existence of the Sikh community and hate crimes we have faced. It focused largely on Islamophobia and Antisemitism”.

“We have had excuse after excuse by the Conservative government for the oversight and been promised an updated plan. We are still waiting two years later. In the meantime Sikhs and our religious institutions continue to be attacked”.

Gurjeet Singh
National Press Secretary
Sikh Federation (UK)
<sikhfederationuk@yahoo.co.uk>

The Hindu – Raids on activists: Maharashtra police had no answers in courtroom

Reasons for arrest not specified, all documents in Marathi: Bench

Soibam Rocky Singh

New Delhi – India, 28 August 2018. With the Maharashtra police unable to explain the specific offence for detaining journalist and social activist Gautam Navlakha, the Delhi High Court on Tuesday ordered that he should not be taken away from the capital till it heard the case on Wednesday.

The High Court was hearing a habeas corpus petition filed on behalf of Mr Navlakha by his advocate Warisha Farasat after his arrest by the Maharashtra police.

Mr Navlakha was arrested from a residence in South Delhi’s Nehru Enclave by a Maharashtra Police team from Pune on Tuesday afternoon. He was produced before a local court in Saket that allowed the police to take him and produce him before a local court in Pune.

The Bench of Justice S Muralidhar and Justice Vinod Goel said the documents submitted by the Maharashtra police while seeking the transit remand did not clearly specify why Mr Navlakha was detained.

When Bench asked the Maharasthra police official, who was present in the courtroom, “what is the specific allegation” against Mr Navlakha, the official could not give any clear answer.

Not satisfied with the response, the Bench said it was “not possible to make out from the document (submitted by the Maharashtra police) what precisely was the case against the petitioner (Mr Navlakha)”.

As a result, the High Court stayed the local court order granting permission to the Maharashtra police to take him to Pune.

During the brief hearing, advocate Nithya Ramakrishnan, appearing for the activist, said he was not present at the event in question (Elgar Parishad in Pune) and the search at his residence here had not yielded objectionable material.

Provisions disregarded

She also contended that the provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code regarding search and arrest were not followed as the warrants were in Marathi, which Mr Navlakha could not understand, and the grounds for the action were not given in writing.

The petition was first mentioned before a Bench of Chief Justice Rajendra Menon and Justice V K Rao by Mr Navlakha’s lawyers for urgent listing. When urgent listing was allowed, the lawyers approached the Bench of Justices Muralidhar and Goel, having the roster for habeas corpus cases, which issued an interim order that the petitioner be not taken out of the State.

The Bench also questioned how the Maharashtra police was able to receive a transit remand order from the local court within half an hour of Mr Navlakha’s arrest on Tuesday afternoon.

Questioning why witnesses were brought from Pune to authenticate the arrest, the court said that under the law, witnesses were supposed to be local persons from the area where an individual was being arrested.

The Bench said Mr Navlakha would remain at his residence here under police guard.

The High Court will take up Mr Navlakha’s plea as the first case on Wednesday.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/maharashtra-police-had-no-answers-in-courtroom/article24803954.ece