Tolo News – Barmak Confirms 192 security incidents on election day

Interior Minister told ToloNews that 17 civilians and 11 security force members had been killed during the day in security-related incidents

Kabul – Kabul province – Afghanistan, 20 October 2018. Minister of Interior Wais Barmak told ToloNews on Saturday evening that 192 security incidents had been reported countrywide during the day, as people cast their votes in the long-awaited parliamentary elections.

He said these included a number of different types of incidents including grenade and IED explosions.

Barmak said at least 17 civilians were killed and 83 civilians wounded in these incident and there had been 1,700 threats issued.

The minister also said 10 policemen were killed and one Afghan National Army soldier was killed. Seventeen security forces were wounded throughout the day, he added.

Officials from the interior ministry said earlier in the day although a number of incidents were recorded nationwide, the enemy did not manage achieve its goal of disrupting elections.

General Akhtar Mohammad Ibrahimi, deputy minister of interior for security said the deadliest attack on Saturday had been a suicide bombing in Kabul’s PD17 that claimed the lives of 10 civilians and five policemen.

Officials said despite the attacks, people still went to the polling centers.

https://www.tolonews.com/afghanistan/interior-minister-confirms-192-security-incidents-election-day

The Tribune – Most dead from UP, Bihar, earning their livelihood in Amritsar: Officials

Amritsar – Panjab – India, 20 October 2018. Most people who were mowed down by a speeding train in Amritsar during Dussehra celebrations on Friday evening were migrant workers from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, an official said here on Saturday.

The accident has claimed 59 lives so far out of which 39 bodies have been identified by the authorities.

A senior official in the district administration said most migrant workers from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar work in an industrial area a stone’s throw from the accident site and live nearby.

The Dussehra celebration gathering on Friday evening had a good number of people who belonged to these two states as the festival is celebrated with great devotion and pomp back in their home towns, he said.

“As per initial reports, most of deceased were migrant workers from Uttar Pradesh and Bihar and were working in the industrial area to earn their livelihood,” the official said.

The official, however, did not give the exact breakdown of numbers as 20 bodies were yet to be identified.

Jagunandan, a 40-year-old wage labourer from Hardoi in UP who suffered injuries in the head and leg, said he was not standing near the tracks but was pushed as people started running away from the main stage after the Ravan effigy was set afire.

The father of four was brought to hospital by a relative, who accompanied him to the event.

The district administration is providing all possible help to the families of the deceased in sending bodies to their home town, another official said.

Since morning, a large number of people have been sitting on railway tracks where the accident took place due to which train services have been suspended on this line.

Angry people are raising slogans against the state government, saying it did nothing to ensure proper security arrangements for the Dussehra event.

The Punjab government has ordered a magisterial inquiry to ascertain the reason behind the tragic accident.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/most-dead-from-up-bihar-earning-their-livelihood-in-amritsar-officials/671065.html

Gent Sint-Niklaaskerk – Gent-Sint-Pieters – Welkenraedt

Gent Sint-Niklaaskerk
14 September


Emile Braunplein
Tracks for Tram 4

Gent-Sint-Pieters
16 September


Track 10


Track 9

Welkenraedt
16 September


NMBS station – IC Train Oostende – Eupen


Welkenraedt NMBS


Welkenraedt NMBS

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

CBS News – Military Museums honour Sikhs connected with Canada’s military

Exhibit includes artifacts such as medals, postcards and toy soldiers

Anis Heydari

Calgary – Alberta – Canada, 20 October 2018. The Military Museums in Calgary have a new exhibit focusing on Sikhs and their connection to the military from a Canadian perspective.

The temporary display in the museum’s atrium will run for three days, and includes items such as medals, turban and cap badges, and even toys depicting Sikh soldiers. There are also poster boards detailing the soldiers’ lives and military service.

“We are showcasing our soldiers who are forgotten, who have been hidden heroes,” said Captain Charan Kamal Singh Dullat. The Canadian Forces officer, who is Sikh, is one of four organizers of the weekend exhibit.

The exhibit includes a number of items lent from the Sikh Heritage Museum of Canada in Toronto.

“It’s fascinating to be able to share original artifacts, postcards, medals, toy soldiers, newspaper articles, and other great stories that sometimes people don’t know about,” said Pardeep Singh Nagra, executive director of the Sikh Heritage Museum of Canada.

Organizers say it’s important to put a spotlight on groups that may not always be recognized for their contributions to major events in Canada’s past.

“It showcases a diversity in Alberta history,” said Michael Hawley, an exhibit co-organizer who is also an expert in South Asian religions.

“If we take a look at the way in which history very often gets written and gets remembered, it … isn’t as inclusive as it could be,” added Hawley.

The exhibit runs from October 19 to 21, 2018. A larger exhibit will be featured at the Military Museums in April 2019 in honour of Sikh Heritage Month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/military-museums-sikhs-canada-1.4871477?cmp=rss

The Hindu – M J Akbar defamation case: Court to record statements on October 31

Court takes cognisance of M J Akbar’s defamation case against Priya Ramani

Nirnimesh Kumar

New Delhi – India, 18 October 2018. A Delhi court on Thursday took cognisance of the criminal defamation complaint filed by former Union Minister M.J. Akbar against senior journalist Priya Ramani.

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal at the Patiala House courts took cognisance of the complaint after a brief argument by Geeta Luthra, counsel for Mr. Akbar.

“Heard on the issue of cognisance of the complaint. I take cognisance of the complaint under Sections 499 and 500 of the Indian Penal Code,” Mr. Vishal said in his brief order.

The court later fixed October 31 as the date for recording of pre-summoning evidence of Mr. Akbar and his other witnesses in the case.

Mr. Akbar has resigned due to these allegations and they show the damage caused to his reputation, says his lawyer.

Advocate Geeta Luthra referred to the Mr Akbar’s reputation as a journalist and asked the court to take cognisance of his complaint, saying the allegations have caused irreparable loss to his reputation built over 40 years.

Mr. Akbar was not present in the court. He is likely to appear on the next date, October 31. The court will decide on summoning Ms Ramani after recording the evidence of Mr. Akbar and his other witnesses.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/mj-akbar-defamation-case-court-to-record-statements-on-october-31/article25257065.ece