The Asian Age – Pune man attacks wife after she continues watching Pakistan serial

A 40-year-old man allegedly attacked his wife with a chopper after he felt she was giving more importance to watching a Pakistani drama show.

Pune – Maharashtra – India, 13 March 2019. A 40-year-old man allegedly attacked his wife with a chopper after he felt she was giving more importance to watching a show, ‘Pakistani Drama’, on her mobile phone than speaking to him, police said Tuesday.

The accused, Asif Sattar Nayab, has a business of installing hoardings and stays with his family in the Salisbury Park area, they said.

Nayab was arrested by the Swargate police and booked for attempt to murder after his wife registered a complaint against him Monday evening, the police said.

According to the police, the couple had a quarrel Monday morning.

“The woman had sent her son to bring milk from a shop but when she found that the milk pouch was damaged and some milk had spilled over, she started scolding him.

“Hearing her voice, Asif intervened, which led to a heated argument between the couple,” said a senior officer from the Swargate police station.

The woman, in her complaint, said the quarrel escalated in the evening when Nayab came home and found she was not speaking to him, he said.

“When Asif came home from work, his wife went to the bedroom. When he went to the bedroom to speak to her, she kept watching a show named ‘Pakistani Drama’ on her mobile.

“Asif felt she was ignoring him and giving more importance to the show on her mobile phone. Felt ignored, Asif attacked her with a chopper (a knife-like tool) in which her right hand’s thumb broke,” the officer said.

http://www.asianage.com/india/crime/130319/pune-man-attacks-wife-after-she-continues-watching-pakistan-serial.html

The Tribune – Case of British citizen Johal in Indian jail being actively dealt with: Theresa May

London – UK, 13 March 2019. British Prime Minister Theresa May on Wednesday said the case of British Sikh murder suspect Jagtar Singh Johal, alias Jaggi Johal, lodged in an Indian jail for over a year was being “actively” dealt with by ministers.

Johal, from Dumbarton in Scotland, was arrested by Indian authorities in November 2017 on charges of fanning communal disturbance in Punjab.

His constituency’s MP, Scottish National Party’s (SNP) Martin Docherty-Hughes, has been lobbying for his release along with his family members and raised the issue in the House of Commons during the weekly Prime Minister’s Questions.

“On Monday (March 18), my constituent Jagtar Singh Johal would have been incarcerated for 500 days without trial. He would have suffered trial by media, sanctioned, some would say, by the Indian state,” Docherty-Hughes said, calling on May to direct her foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt to take up the case with the Indian Government.

“Ministers are dealing with this. They have been actively involved in this case,” May said.

“One of the ministers is actually dealing with this case and will I am sure will be pleased to meet with him,” she said, in reference to the request for a ministerial meeting.

Johal, a 31-year-old Scottish-born Sikh, was in Jalandhar with his family for his wedding in October 2017 when he was arrested by plainclothes police officials in the city.

The Punjab Government claimed he was among a group of suspects arrested in relation to the murder of Hindu leaders in the state.

While the Indian Government maintains that “due process” is being followed in the case, British MPs have repeatedly taken up the case in the UK Parliament.

“Mr Johal alleges he has been subjected to torture at the hands of the Indian security forces,” Preet Kaur Gill, a Labour Party MP and Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for British Sikhs, noted in a letter to Downing Street last year.

The APPG and other MPs have continued lobbying for the release of Johal, with some Sikh groups in the UK organising a “Free Jaggi” drive.

“The British Sikh community is disgusted that Jagtar is being treated as a second-class citizen by the Foreign Office,” said Bhai Amrik Singh, Chair of Sikh Federation UK.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/case-of-british-citizen-johal-in-indian-jail-being-actively-dealt-with-theresa-may/742615.html

Sint-Pietersplein – Climate Manifestation

Sint-Pietersplein
Climate Manifestation
24 February 2019


Onze Lieve Vrouw Sint-Pieterskerk


Slowly the square is filling up !


On your bike, in true green style


Flags and banners are arriving


The ‘boekentoren’


Due to higher sea-levels Gent might become Gent-on-sea

To see all my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12445197@N05/

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

India Today – Nehru broke Punjab, Indira Gandhi attacked Golden Temple: Union Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal

Harsimrat Kaur Badal on Wednesday said that Jawaharlal Nehru was responsible for the division of Punjab at the time of India’s partition in 1947. She said that the border could easily have been extended by two km

New Delhi – India, 13 March 2019. Union Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal on Wednesday said that Jawaharlal Nehru was responsible for the division of Punjab at the time of India’s partition in 1947.

“If Punjab was divided, it was Jawaharlal Nehru’s decision, that border could easily have been extended by two km,” Harsimrat Kaur Badal said.

She further talked about the military operation in the Golden Temple (Harmandar Sahib Complex) ordered by the then PM Indira Gandhi in 1984 and said, “To suppress the Sikhs and demoralise them, after Jawaharlal Nehru broke Punjab, India Gandhi came and attacked the Golden Temple.”

Attacking the Gandhi family, Harsimrat Kaur Badal further said Indira Gandhi was responsible for the innocent people who died there.

“Then comes her son Rajiv Gandhi who then for his political reasons massacres millions of Sikhs all over. And now Rahul Gandhi speaks the language of Pakistan,” Harsimrat Kaur Badal said.

Harsimrat Kaur Badal said that the Sikhs were getting justice for the 1984 tragedy and that it was because of the prime minister and the present government.

“I appeal to the Sikhs, finally we’re getting justice for 1984. Finally, we’re getting Kartarpur Sahab corridor, if you don’t stand by PM Modi and this government, I can assure that the Congress and the Gandhi family will derail this on some pretext of talks and terror,” she said.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/nehru-broke-punjab-indira-gandhi-attacked-golden-temple-union-minister-harsimrat-kaur-badal-1477041-2019-03-13

Dawn – Pakistan regrets India’s decision not to issue visas to journalists for Kartarpur meeting

Islamabad Capital Territory – Pakistan, 13 March 2019. The Foreign Office on Wednesday expressed disappointment at the Indian government’s decision to not issue visas to Pakistani journalists to cover tomorrow’s meeting on the Kartarpur Corridor.

A Pakistani delegation will visit India tomorrow [March 14]. Indian and Pakistani officials will meet at Attari, near Amritsar, according to Indian media. This will be followed by a visit to Islamabad of an Indian delegation on March 28.

Earlier in January, Pakistan had shared its draft of the proposed agreement on the Kartarpur Corridor with India and called for initiation of negotiations for its finalisation.

In February, after a bit of wrangling over the venue of the talks, the two countries had agreed in principle on reciprocal visits of officials for negotiating and finalising the agreement.

“Regrettable that India has not given visas to Pakistani journalists for the Kartarpur meeting tomorrow,” said Dr Mohammad Faisal, spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, on Wednesday via Twitter.

He added: “Hope the #PakKartarpurSpirit and meeting tomorrow will bring a change for the better for people of both countries.”

In another tweet, Dr Faisal pointed out that the groundbreaking ceremony of the Kartarpur Corridor in Pakistan last year was covered by more than 30 Indian journalists.

“They also met Prime Minister Imran Khan and were hosted by Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi for a dinner during their stay,” he added.

Earlier this month, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs reaffirmed its commitment to continuing negotiations on proposed Kartarpur Corridor agreement and announced that the two neighbouring countries would exchange visits by their respective delegations.

The announcement came a week after the Indian Air Force (IAF) violated Pakistani airspace following the 14 February attack targeting Indian security forces in Indian-occupied Kashmir’s Pulwama area.

Two intruding IAF jets were later downed by Pakistan and a pilot was captured only to be released as a unilateral goodwill gesture.

Amidst rhetoric by Indian officials in the aftermath of the attack, Pakistan had called back its high commissioner in India for consultations on 18 February. The high commissioner returned to India last week as tensions began to defuse after intervention by influential world capitals.

The groundbreaking ceremony of the corridor in Pakistan was performed last year on 28 November. Indian government had sent two cabinet ministers, Minister for Food Processing Industries Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs Shri Hardeep Singh, to participate in the ceremony.

In January, Pakistan had shared its draft of Kartarpur Corridor Accord with India and invited its delegation for a visit for negotiating the document, which would govern operations of the corridor meant to provide visa-free access to Indian Sikh pilgrims to the Gurdwara in Kartarpur Sahib (Narowal district).

The corridor is planned to be opened for Sikh pilgrims this year in commemoration of the 550th birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism.

India, however, instead of accepting the proposal on that occasion, insisted on hosting the meeting and asked Pakistani officials to visit Delhi either on 26 February or 07 March.

Although the counter-proposals from Islamabad and Delhi had given the impression of a sort of standoff on the issue, Islamabad had, instead of reacting to the position taken by India in response to its original suggestion, vowed to “take the process forward”.

“We welcome the visit of Pakistan team to discuss and finalise modalities for facilitating visit of pilgrims through Kartarpur Sahib Corridor to India. Follow up meeting can be held in Pakistan, as required,” Indian External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar had tweeted on 07 February, after the March meeting was finalised by the two sides.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1469399/pakistan-regrets-indias-decision-not-to-issue-visas-to-journalists-for-kartarpur-meeting