Tolo News – UN Chief outraged by Taliban attack in Kabul

The UN chief said international humanitarian law explicitly prohibits indiscriminate attacks against civilians.

Kabul – Kabul province – Afghanistan, 03 July 2019. The Secretary-General António Guterres in a statement on Tuesday said that he is outraged and deeply saddened by the Taliban-claimed complex attack that took place on 1 July in a civilian-populated area of Kabul.

According to preliminary findings, the explosives set off at the outset of the attack caused more than 100 civilian casualties, including women and children. The explosives also damaged schools and other civilian infrastructure in the immediate vicinity.

The Secretary-General reiterates that international humanitarian law explicitly prohibits indiscriminate attacks and attacks directed against civilians, and appeals to all parties to the conflict in Afghanistan to uphold their obligations to protect civilians.

The Secretary-General expresses his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims and to the Government and people of Afghanistan. He wishes a speedy recovery to those injured.

The attack in Kabul took place when children were arriving at nearby schools, indicating that those who planned and launched it at that time showed a reckless disregard for the safety of innocent lives.

International humanitarian law explicitly prohibits indiscriminate attacks where civilians are present and requires all parties to uphold their obligations to avoid harm to civilians at all times.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) in a statement on Tuesday said that the members of the mission are appalled by the Taliban attack in a civilian-populated area of Kabul on Monday, where schools, homes, media outlets and other civilian facilities were immediately nearby.

Preliminary data indicate that the complex attack began with the detonation of explosives and caused scores of civilian casualties, among them women and many children, and led to damage to schools and other civilian infrastructure.

https://www.tolonews.com/afghanistan/un-chief-outraged-taliban-attack-kabul

The Tribune – Shillong Sikhs reject government panel on land

Kolkata – West Bengal – India, 03 July 2019. The Harijan Panchayat Committee, spearheading the resistance to Meghalaya government’s attempt to evict Sikh residents of Shillong’s Punjabi Lane area, today accused the high-level committee (HLC) under Deputy CM Prestone Tynsong as being “partisan” and said that no way they would accept its decision.

The HLC was constituted by the state after an incident of assault in the Punjabi Lane area in May last year, which resulted in violent group clashes between Sikhs and local Khasis.

The Harijan Panchayat Committee also categorically rejected what it called the “polite threat” of the Deputy CM, who had recently asked the Sikh settlers to shift on their own from Punjabi Lane, also known as Sweeper’s Colony.

On May 31, the Shillong Municipal Board issued notice to the Sikh residents to provide documents with regard to their possession of land or buildings in Punjabi Lane, located at a stone’s throw distance of Shillong’s prime commercial area, Police Bazaar.

Today was the last day of the submission of documents, but none complied with the directive.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/punjab/shillong-sikhs-reject-govt-panel-on-land/796818.html

Oostende: Flowers – Mercator – Ravi Das Bhavan

Oostende Flowers
22 June 2019


Daisies

Oostende Mercator
22 June 2019


Mercator


Mercator

Oostende Ravi Das Bhavan
22 June 2019


Bhagat Ravidas, one of the authors of the Guru Granth Sahib


Sri Guru Ravi Das Bhavan

Plakkerstraat 33, 8400 Oostende
West-Vlaanderen

We pushed the bell,
a man answered in English, but did not let us in

Open from 04:00 till 05:30and from 17:30 till – 18:30

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

Birmingham Mail – Two arrested in Sikh Youth UK charity fraud probe

Counter-terror detectives detained a man and woman from an address in Birmingham

Detectives probing alleged fraud offences at a Birmingham-based charity have arrested two people at a city address.

A man, aged 38, and a 49-year-old woman, were detained by officers from West Midlands Police’s Counter Terrorism Unit .

The arrests were in connection with alleged fraud offences of donated charitable funds at Sikh Youth UK.

A West Midlands Police statement read: “Two people have been arrested today, Wednesday, July 3, by detectives from West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit, following the examination of evidence obtained during searches which took place in September 2018.

“A 38-year-old man and a 49-year-old woman were detained from an address in Birmingham for questioning in connection with alleged fraud offences of donated charitable funds.

“The pair are being held at a police station in the West Midlands.

“WMCTU has been working closely with the Charity Commission on this investigation.”

According to its website, Sikh Youth UK raises awareness of “social evils” and supports victims of sexual grooming, substance abuse and domestic violence.

Last November, footage emerged showing members of Sikh Youth UK giving recruitment officers from West Midlands Police their marching orders at a West Midlands Gurdwara.

Police had been allowed by the temple’s [Gurdwara] committee to set up a stall during Diwali to recruit members of the Sikh community for the force.

But phone video footage showed Sikh Youth UK members approach officers and demand they left – which they eventually did.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/two-arrested-sikh-youth-uk-16522793

The Hindu – Gauri Lankesh murder: Rahul, Yechury plead not guilty in defamation case filed by RSS worker

Both the leaders have also been granted permanent exemption in the case and the matter will be heard on September 21.

Sonam Saigal

Mumbai – Maharashstra – India, 04 July 2019. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury pleaded “not guilty” before the Mazgaon court on July 4 in a criminal defamation case filed against them by a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) worker for making allegations against the Sangh after the murder of journalist Gauri Lankesh.

Metropolitan magistrate P I Mokashi granted bail to Mr Gandhi on the surety of ex-MP Eknath Gaikwad and Mr Yechury was granted bail on the surety of CPI (M) party worker Shantaram Mankaumare.

Both the leaders have also been granted permanent exemption in the case and the matter will be heard on September 21.

Fight of ideology

Addressing the press outside the court, Mr Gandhi said, “this is a fight of the ideology. I will keep fighting and I am enjoying my fight.”

Complainant advocate Dhrutiman Joshi alleged that Mr Gandhi, while speaking to a reporter outside the Parliament, had linked the RSS with the Gauri Lankesh murder.

Mr Gandhi had allegedly said, “Anybody who speaks against the ideology of the BJP [Bharatiya Janata Party], against the ideology of the RSS is pressured, beaten, attacked and even killed”.

Mr Yechury also allegedly made a statement that it was the RSS ideology and RSS men who had killed Gauri.

Earlier, the text of the statements was submitted to the court. The Byculla police is investigating the case lodged under Section 500 (punishment for defamation) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) in September 2017.

On February 21, metropolitan magistrate P K Deshpande recorded, “Upon perusal of the material placed before the court, I find the statements defamatory in nature. Mr Gandhi and Mr Yechury had no right to make such statements without verifying facts.

No investigating agency can conclude that RSS or its followers were involved in the alleged murder of journalist Gauri Lankesh. I find sufficient grounds to proceed against them for offence punishable under Section 500 of IPC.”

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/gauri-lankesh-murder-rahul-yechury-plead-not-guilty-in-defamation-case-filed-by-rss-worker/article28281157.ece