Tolo News – Abdullah: High Level Talks About Crisis Ongoing

Reuters has reported that the United States has asked Afghan President Ashraf Ghani to defer his second-term inauguration.

Anisa Shaheed

Kabul – Afghanistan, 25 February 2020. Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah on Tuesday said that his recent talks and meetings with some of Afghanistan’s mainstream political leaders, including former president Hamid Karzai, former mujahideen leader Abdul Rab Rasoul Sayyaf, and the US Special Envoy for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalamy Khalilzad, were focused on the election crisis.

Abdullah, speaking to media after meeting with tribal elders in Kabul, once again rejected the announcement of the presidential election results by the Independent Election Commission (IEC) as ‘illegitimate.”

“The illegitimate announcement of the election led to the crisis, and, so far, no one has accepted the election results,” said Abdullah in a question asked by TOLO news’ reporter Anisa Shaheed about reports that Abdullah had been asked to accept the results.

However, Abdullah refrained from providing any further details about his talks with the political leaders, but said that the talks and meetings will continue.

Meanwhile, Reuters has reported that the United States has asked Afghan President Ashraf Ghani to defer his second-term inauguration over concerns it could inflame an election feud with his political rival and jeopardize US-led peacemaking efforts.

The presidential palace so far has not made a comment about the report by Reuters.

Both Abdullah and Ghani previously said that they will be sworn in as president on Thursday.

“Mr Khalilzad told us that the US was not aware of the issue, but I don’t think that the US was unaware of the move by Arg (presidential palace),” said Sayed Eshaq Gailani, head of Nahzat-e-Hambastagi Afghanistan party.

“I want to make one suggestion to our foreign partners, and that is keeping silence over transparency issues in the election process is a sin,” said Anwarul Haq Ahadi, the former Minister of Finance who runs as Chief Executive in Abdullah’s campaign team.

“Today we gathered here to endorse the truthfulness of Dr. Abdullah and to show the support of the Pashtun people to him,” said Haji Din Mohammad, the deputy head of the High Peace Council (HPC).

https://tolonews.com/afghanistan/abdullah-high-level-talks-about-crisis-ongoing

Sikh24.com – Delhi Violence: Dal Khalsa seeks Amit Shah’s resignation

Sikh24 Editors

Chandigarh – Panjab – India, 26 February 2020. Dal Khalsa has sought resignation of Home Minister Amit Shah for allowing non-state actors to collude and connive with Delhi police to unleash mayhem and terror on anti-CAA protesters, who have been staging peaceful protests since the last two months all over the capital Delhi and elsewhere.

Strongly condemning the violence and vicious role of police targeting a particular community, the organization slammed the present day government for making a precious attempt to reduce a political movement to a law and order problem.

“This is a gross failure of the entire Indian system comprising a hateful government, a biased bureaucracy and an indifferent justice system,” reads a statement by Dal Khalsa.

“Delhi is in flames and the pro-CAA people are indulging in arson and looting right under the nose of the police and the administration”, said party Spokesman Kanwarpal Singh.

He said it reminds of the horrific moments of November 1984, when lumpens let loose terror and mayhem against innocent Sikhs.

The party leader said the situation in the country is volatile and a spark is needed to turn it into a disaster.

Seventy two hours before the US President Donald Trump was to arrive in India, we wrote a letter to caution him about the current dynamics of the situation and to bring to his notice how the fascist plans of his friend Narendra Modi’s government were playing havoc with the lives of minorities and nationalities.

It’s ironic that the visiting dignitary was deeply concerned about the radical Islamic terrorism but least bothered about rising radical Hindutva terrorism, which is showing it’s ugly face right now at the time of his presence in the capital.

The BJP is culpable and responsible. The Indian Home Minister must resign forthwith. Like CAA and NPR, he stands rejected by a large section of the population.

The Dal khalsa leader went on to lash out at senior BJP leaders and ministers for their hateful speeches. He held that provocative remarks like “goli maaron (shoot them)” are responsible for the mayhem in the Indian capital.”

Delhi Violence: Dal Khalsa seeks Amit Shah’s resignation

Gent – Lange Muntstraat & Gentbrugge – Braemstraat

Lange Muntstraat
10 January 2020


Violin, accordion and huge triangular string instrument


They are not getting rich going by
the few coins in the violin case

Braemstraat – Turkish wedding
11 January 2020


Turkish wedding in Gentbrugge


Dancing in the street


Hobo type Turkish instrument


The drummer

More Belgian pictures to be published
Harjinder Singh
Man in Blue

Hindustan Times – Takht Jathedar seeks probe into Delhi violence

He made the statement immediately after his return from Pakistan. The Jathedar, along with 12 other Sikhs, had gone to Pakistan to take part in a function to observe the anniversary of the Nankana Sahib massacre on 21 February.

HT Correspondent

Amritsar – Panjab – India, 25 February 2020. The acting Jathedar of Akal Takht Giani Harpreet Singh on Tuesday sought probe into the ongoing Delhi violence that has coincided with the visit of US President Donald Trump. At least 10 people have been killed in the national capital in the violence over the past two days.

He made the statement immediately after his return from Pakistan. The Jathedar, along with 12 other Sikhs, had gone to Pakistan to take part in a function to observe the anniversary of the Nankana Sahib massacre on February 21.

“See, when Bill Clinton (the then US president) had come to India in 2000, 36 Sikhs were killed in Jammu and Kashmir, and, now, when Trump is around, Delhi is burning. It should be probed why India sees violence whenever a US president is around?” he said.

The Jathedar said, “We talked to the Pakistan government and they agreed to open two gurdwaras, named after Shaheed Bhai Taru Singh and Bhai Money Singh (both Sikh martyers). The shrines will be opened after renovation.”

On being asked if he was satisfied with the apology of director general of police (DGP) for his Kartarpur remark, he said, “His mistake is very big and he should step down on moral ground.

The statement has hurt the sentiments of Sikh community,” adding, “I have spent five days in Pakistan and I have not become a terrorist. How can a person become a terrorist spending some hours there?”

On minorities’ condition in Pakistan, he said, “Minorities in Pakistan, especially the Sikh community, are safe and at peace. We met several Sikhs and no one complained of any type of persecution.”

Earlier, the Jathedar had said that Pakistan was a safe country and maximum Sikhs from India should visit all historic gurdwaras there.

The Jathedar had also met the family of a Sikh girl of Nankana Sahib who was allegedly abducted, forcibly converted to Islam and married to a Muslim youth in Pakistan. “They informed me that the girl is under some pressure,” he said.

On the row over Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale’s interpretation of Gurbani and Sikh history, the Jathedar reiterated that he should appear before the five-member committee.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cities/takht-jathedar-seeks-probe-into-delhi-violence/story-Y3DWL1yGiLeyyzrXi37FpM.html

Dawn – Comment: Three days of violent attacks in Delhi could not take place without state sanction

Violence in Indian cities simply does not take place over multiple days without the state’s active involvement.

Rohan Venkataramakrishnan

New Delhi – India, If it had been an hour or two, there might have been the argument that the police was unprepared. If it had come out of the blue while an important dignitary was visiting the national capital, one might have argued that the Home Ministry was blindsided. If it was taking place in a hard-to-reach part of the country, you could have said that the terrain made things difficult.

But when violent anti-Muslim mobs are able to roam freely in Delhi, India’s capital, for three whole days, after a ruling party politician stood in front of a top police officer and threatened to take violence into his own hands, it is clear that they have the sanction of authorities.

From videos and reports of Delhi Police either turning a blind eye or even taking part in the violence, to the silence of top Bharatiya Janata Party leaders, there can be no doubt of the state’s role in the events of the last few days.

If the police were unable to stop the anti-Muslim mobs, they should have said so and called in the army to establish the peace. Yet, after a meeting on Tuesday, the Delhi Police said it had things under control, even as entire sections of the national capital were unreachable unless you were a member of a violent mob.

Reports and eyewitnesses over Monday and Tuesday made it clear that the mobs had the backing of the police and even their active involvement in some cases.

While many will point to violence coming from “both sides”, and undoubtedly there were incidents of stone-pelting from anti-Citizenship Act amendment protesters, the police’s partisan decision to support one group should be a clear indicator of what is going on here: state-sponsored mob violence, that is leading to retaliation.

It is worthless attempting to understand why the BJP-led government would want to resort to such violence, especially at a time when the USA president was visiting the capital.

Such speculation attempts to read tea leaves and look past the actual religiously divisive and violent rhetoric used by many in the party time and again: “shoot the traitors”, “we will enter their houses and beat them up”, “there is only one name, that is Jai Shri Ram.”

Home Minister Amit Shah admitted that his party should not have used such rhetoric in the run-up to elections in Delhi, in which the BJP was trounced. But the BJP politicians who made such statements saw small slaps on the wrist from the Election Commission at the most.

It is one of those politicians, Kapil Mishra, who gave an ultimatum to the police and sparked off the current round of violence in the capital. While other BJP leaders in the capital have even questioned his words, there has been no response from the party’s central leadership. Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah have been loud in their silence.

All of this again leads to the straightforward conclusion: The BJP-led government is responsible for three days of violence in Delhi.

This article was originally published on Scroll.in and has been reproduced with permission.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1536773/comment-three-days-of-violent-attacks-in-delhi-could-not-take-place-without-state-sanction